Re: [9.4 CF] Free VMs for Reviewers & Testers

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [9.4 CF] Free VMs for Reviewers & Testers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/08/2013 10:49 PM, Daniel Farina wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I did some work on that a while ago, and found that I was able to get
>> _astonishingly_ stable performance results out of EC2 EBS instances
>> using provisioned IOPS volumes. Running them as "EBS Optimized" didn't
>> seem to be required for the workloads I was testing on.

> The really, really big ones are useful even for pushing limits, such
> as cr1.8xlarge, with 32 CPUs and 244GiB memory.  Current spot instance
> price (the heavily discounted "can die at any time" one) is $0.343/hr.
>  Otherwise, it's 3.500/hr.

Yes, and for that reason, they aren't realistic for offering to
reviewers for free, funded by the community.

For real performance testing, we already have servers hosted in Portland
which are real, non-shared servers.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.