Re: proposal to simplify the website

От dmp
Тема Re: proposal to simplify the website
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Shijun Kong wrote:
> Simplify website? Maven site + github pages?
>
> http://pages.github.com/
>
> _sample: _http://searls.github.io/jasmine-maven-plugin/
> _Javadoc is generated by maven:
> _http://searls.github.io/jasmine-maven-plugin/apidocs/index.html
>
> *
> __________________________
> *
> Shijun Kong

I'm really not a fan of github. Yes I use it to host a project, but it
is slow and I would not put a web site on it. If that is what is desired
then someone else can do it.

> From: Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com <mailto:pg@fastcrypt.com>>
> Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:36 PM
> To: Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com <mailto:books@ejurka.com>>
> Cc: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>>,
> "pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org <mailto:pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org>"
> <pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org <mailto:pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org>>
> Subject: Re: [JDBC] proposal to simplify the website
>
> Kris,
>
> How many changes go everywhere ?
>
> Any suggestions on a simple templating system ?
>

> Dave Cramer
>
> dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
> http://www.credativ.ca
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com
> <mailto:books@ejurka.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>     >  The machines that host the sites are not setup with CMS. There
>     isn't that
>     >  much content and every CMS I've ever seen has a learning curve.
>     This is
>     >  simple, store the html in git, pull it to the machine
>     >  The biggest part of the site is the API docs, which is generated with
>     >  javadoc.
>     >

>     My concern is that without any templating system at all, some simple
>     changes are going to require a copy and paste into every single page.
>     Don't we need something beyond plain static pages that are directly
>     edited?
>
>     Forrest is kind of a dead project at this point, but there are a ton of
>     other templating systems that generate static pages that are much more
>     lightweight than Forrest. Shouldn't we consider one of them?
>
>     Kris Jurka

When Dave first brought this up to me I was against a CMS site. Yes there
maybe some simple ones out there, but:

1. They do required a learning curve,
2. It has to stay well maintained from the development side otherwise it
    is going to get hacked.
3. If your content is not changing much it is not really worth it.

A mainly static site should be fine with CSS template and some scripting
to handle the areas that change, todo list and downloads that I know of
provided the host server allows a perl/python and a database. If a simple
CMS site software or other templating system is desired I can do the
research, but will not guarantee that I will sign on to implement.

danap.

Сообщение: Re: proposal to simplify the website
Сообщение: Re: proposal to simplify the website