Re: Compressed binary field

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Compressed binary field
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> there is no problem. Just trying to reduce database size

> Actual database size = 8Gb
> Backup size = 1.6Gb (5x smaller)
>
> Seems to me (IMHO) that there is room for improvement in database
> storage (we don't have many indexes, and biggest tables are just
> the ones with bytea fields). That's why I've asked for experts
> counseling.

What version of PostgreSQL is this?

How are you measuring the size?

Where is the space going?  (Heap files?  TOAST files?  Index files?
WAL files?  Free space maps?  Visibility maps?  Server logs?
Temporary files?)

You aren't creating a separate table with one row for each binary
object, are you?  I only ask this because in an earlier post you
mentioned having a quarter million files in the database, and in a
production database which has been running for years with over 400
user tables and lots of indexes I only have about 4000 files in the
whole database cluster.  A separate table for each object would be
disastrous for both performance and space usage.

-Kevin