Re: crosstab

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: crosstab
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/04/2012 02:59 PM, Aram Fingal wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2012, at 4:36 PM, A.M. wrote:
>
>> Or you could return the heatmap/plot as BYTEA data or use arrays as
>> necessary.
>
> I was actually thinking exactly the same thing.  Part of the reason I
> use PostgreSQL for all my bioinformatics work is that there is a need to
> correctly associate analysis results with the data and experimental
> methods they come from.  I have tables for experimental runs,
> technicians, procedures, samples, drugs, etc. and I use foreign key
> constraints to connect them all.  The idea is to have all the
> information readily accessible to reproduce complex results in modern
> scientific fashion.  If I store the plots in the DB, I can connect them
> to all these basic information tables.

You can return your results (or some intermediate) object in serialized
form as bytea from a PL/R function and store it in a table along with
the basic experimental info. Then later if you pass the serialized
object back into another PL/R function as a bytea argument, it gets
reconstituted as the original R object.

Joe

--
Joe Conway