Re: pgsql: Refactor libpq state machine for negotiating encryption

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: pgsql: Refactor libpq state machine for negotiating encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 24/04/2024 15:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 08.04.24 03:25, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Refactor libpq state machine for negotiating encryption
>>
>> This fixes the few corner cases noted in commit 705843d294, as shown
>> by the changes in the test.
>
> Either this or something nearby appears to have broken the error
> reporting from psql or libpq when failing to get an SSL connection:
>
> PG16:
>
> psql 'sslmode=require host=localhost'
> psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 65432
> failed: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required
>
> master:
>
> psql 'sslmode=require host=localhost'
> psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 65432 failed:
>
> (sic, the output ends after the colon).
>
> This commit removed that detail error message string from the code, but
> I don't see any similar message that would take its place.

Thanks, attached patch puts back those messages.

This makes one change in the error message behavior compared to v16, in
the case that the server responds to GSSRequest with an error instead of
rejecting it with 'N'. Previously, libpq would hide the error that the
server sent in that case, assuming that it was because the server is an
old pre-v12 version that doesn't support GSS and doesn't understand the
GSSRequest message. A v11 server responds with a "FATAL: unsupported
frontend protocol 1234.5680: server supports 2.0 to 3.0" error if you
try to connect to it with GSS. That was a reasonable assumption when the
feature was introduced, but v12 was released a long time ago and I don't
think it's the most probable cause anymore. The attached patch changes
things so that libpq prints the error message that the server sent in
that case, making the "server responds with error to GSSRequest" case
behave the same as the "server responds with error to SSLRequest" case.
We could keep the old behavior if we wanted to, but this is the most
convenient way to handle this in the new libpq code, and makes sense
anyway IMHO.

While testing this some more, I noticed this existing case with stable
versions:

psql "host=enc-test-localhost.postgresql.example.com hostaddr=127.0.0.1
sslmode=disable gssencmode=require"
psql: error: connection to server at "127.0.0.1", port 5432 failed:

In the server log:

024-04-25 16:38:59.372 EEST [3939163] LOG:  could not accept GSSAPI
security context
2024-04-25 16:38:59.372 EEST [3939163] DETAIL:  No credentials were
supplied, or the credentials were unavailable or inaccessible: Key table
entry not found

I didn't have everything configured correctly, which is why it failed.
That's fine. But the psql error message is missing here too.

The attached patch does not fix that case. I think the correct fix would
go somewhere in pqsecure_open_gss(). Whenever pqsecure_open_gss()
returns PGRES_POLLING_FAILED, it should also put an error in the error
buffer with libpq_append_conn_error(). The corresponding
pgtls_open_client() function for TLS does that, and so does
pqsecure_open_gss() for many other cases, but apparently not that one.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Вложения