Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/6/23 16:42, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 4:29 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com
> <mailto:mail@joeconway.com>> wrote:
>
>      > 1. Outputting a top level JSON object without the additional column
>      > keys. IIUC, the top level keys are always the column names. A
>     common use
>      > case would be a single json/jsonb column that is already formatted
>      > exactly as the user would like for output. Rather than enveloping
>     it in
>      > an object with a dedicated key, it would be nice to be able to
>     output it
>      > directly. This would allow non-object results to be outputted as
>     well
>      > (e.g., lines of JSON arrays, numbers, or strings). Due to how
>     JSON is
>      > structured, I think this would play nice with the JSON lines v.s.
>     array
>      > concept.
>      >
>      > COPY (SELECT json_build_object('foo', x) AS i_am_ignored FROM
>      > generate_series(1, 3) x) TO STDOUT WITH (FORMAT JSON,
>      > SOME_OPTION_TO_NOT_ENVELOPE)
>      > {"foo":1}
>      > {"foo":2}
>      > {"foo":3}
>
>     Your example does not match what you describe, or do I misunderstand? I
>     thought your goal was to eliminate the repeated "foo" from each row...
>

> The "foo" in this case is explicit as I'm adding it when building the
> object. What I was trying to show was not adding an additional object
> wrapper / envelope.
>
> So each row is:
>
> {"foo":1}
>
> Rather than:
>
> "{"json_build_object":{"foo":1}}

I am still getting confused ;-)

Let's focus on the current proposed patch with a "minimum required
feature set".

Right now the default behavior is "JSON lines":
8<-------------------------------
COPY (SELECT x.i, 'val' || x.i as v FROM
       generate_series(1, 3) x(i))
TO STDOUT WITH (FORMAT JSON);
{"i":1,"v":"val1"}
{"i":2,"v":"val2"}
{"i":3,"v":"val3"}
8<-------------------------------

and the other, non-default option is "JSON array":
8<-------------------------------
COPY (SELECT x.i, 'val' || x.i as v FROM
       generate_series(1, 3) x(i))
TO STDOUT WITH (FORMAT JSON, FORCE_ARRAY);
[
  {"i":1,"v":"val1"}
,{"i":2,"v":"val2"}
,{"i":3,"v":"val3"}
]
8<-------------------------------

So the questions are:
1. Do those two formats work for the initial implementation?
2. Is the default correct or should it be switched
    e.g. rather than specifying FORCE_ARRAY to get an
    array, something like FORCE_NO_ARRAY to get JSON lines
    and the JSON array is default?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Сообщение: Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Сообщение: Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO