Re: Server/Data Migration Advice

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: Server/Data Migration Advice
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15/12/2011 15:57, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> So after reading
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/backup-dump.html,
>
> I'm not sure why the manual shows you in "24.1. SQL Dump" & then
> directly after in 24.1.1, they explain how to restore with psql as you
> advised me not to. I got my psql db_name < infile command directly
> from the manual. I know it's personal preference but from everything
> you noted, why didn't they just explain how to perform a pg_restore in
> the "24.1.1. Restoring the Dump" section.

The point here is that with the plain-text dump (the default output from
pg_dump), you can feed that directly to psql; but you have no control
over what is restored, or in what order, without editing the dump file
directly.

If, however, you using one of the other output options, you need to use
pg_restore; but you can do all sorts of things with the restore.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie