Re: the '::' cast doesn't work in the FROM clause

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: the '::' cast doesn't work in the FROM clause
Дата
Re: the '::' cast doesn't work in the FROM clause  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Alexey Klyukin  wrote:

> The following statement produces an error message in PostgreSQL 8.4
> - 9.2 (head):
>
> postgres=# select val from random()::integer as val;

> The same statement rewritten with CAST AS works as expected:
>
> postgres=# select val from CAST(random() as integer) as val;

> The documentation says these casts are equivalent, so either that's
> wrong, or this is a bug.

Please point out where you think the documentation says that.  The
way I read it, this is the correct syntax:

test=# select val from (select random()::integer) as x(val);
 val
-----
   1
(1 row)

Not only are you missing required parentheses and the SELECT keyword,
you're returning a record rather than a scalar value.

-Kevin