Re: BUG #6140: PostgreSQL Server Service Not Starting

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: BUG #6140: PostgreSQL Server Service Not Starting
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 3/08/2011 9:23 PM, Steven Boyd wrote:
> Craig,
> Good morning!
> Working in IT, I understand how hard it is to troubleshoot an issue
> with an incomplete picture.  I wanted to tell you that your suggestion
> worked!  I removed the postgres account from the local administrators
> group, restarted the VM and the service started (I had to re-enter the
> service account password so the account could be given the "logon as a
> service" right).  So we'll see where things go from there.  I really
> appreciate your suggestion and it might be something that you can put
> in the manuals.

Glad to hear it worked.

It's not so much something that should be documented, as something that
should give a useful error message when it happens, or should handle the
error and start correctly.

Adding additional rights should *NOT* cause the Pg service to fail. If
it's decided that it should for security reasons, a conf flag should be
available to allow those who genuinely feel they need the added privs to
enable them. A useful error should be emitted.

That said, I find developing on Windows to be a lot like a dentist visit
without anesthetic, so I'm not going to be stepping up to implement it
;-) .

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park
Ph: 08 9381 3088     Fax: 08 9388 2258