Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck
Дата
Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 03/28/2011 04:21 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> Today is the launch of Intel's 3rd generation SSD line, the 320
> series.  And they've finally produced a cheap consumer product that
> may be useful for databases, too!  They've put 6 small capacitors onto
> the board and added logic to flush the write cache if the power drops.

I decided a while ago that I wasn't going to buy a personal SSD until I
could get one without a volatile write cache for less than what a
battery-backed caching controller costs.  That seemed the really
disruptive technology point for the sort of database use I worry about.
According to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050 that
point was today, with the new 120GB drives now selling for $240.  UPS
willing, later this week I should have one of those here for testing.

A pair of those mirrored with software RAID-1 runs $480 for 120GB.  LSI
MegaRAID 9260-4i with 512MB cache is $330, ditto 3ware 9750-4i.  Battery
backup runs $135 to $180 depending on model; let's call it $150.  Decent
"enterprise" hard drive without RAID-incompatible firmware, $90 for
500GB, need two of them.  That's $660 total for 500GB of storage.

If you really don't need more than 120GB of storage, but do care about
random I/O speed, this is a pretty easy decision now--presuming the
drive holds up to claims.  As the claims are reasonable relative to the
engineering that went into the drive now, that may actually be the case.

Сообщение: Re: Postgres Performance Tuning
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Performance Tuning