Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> I can't imagine supporting recommending 8.1 for anything but a toy deployment today.

Today's toy and test deployments are tomorrow's high-volume ones.  It's
pretty clear that anyone who cares about performance wants something
newer.  But that's a secondary concern behind security and easy of
management for some installations, and some of those think that using
the RHEL packages is the best way to achieve those goals.  I'd hate for
people who are considering proof-of-concept projects that tinker using
the version that comes with the OS to get a bad feeling about that
version by seeing it EOL'd earlier than it has to.  That ship has
clearly sailed for RHEL4 and it's 7.4 already--nobody considers the
packages that come with it reasonable to start a new project with
anymore--but I don't think it has for RHEL5/8.1 yet, based on what I've
been seeing over the last year in the field.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com