Re: Error in installation...

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: Error in installation...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/11/2008 19:15, Shashank Mujumdar wrote:

> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin> postgres -D C:\path\to\pgsqldata
>
> when I entered the command I got the following notification..
>
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2008-11-02 18:17:13 IST
> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
>
> After this nothing happens..The command prompt does not appear..As if
> the cursor is waiting for some input or something like that..
> Please let me know if I missed something in installation process..What
> might be the problem ???

That's all fine - what you've done is to start the database server
process, which is listening for connections on port 5432 (if you
accepted the default). Nothing else will happen in that window until you
or someone else connects to this process. Open another terminal window,
and connect to it with psql:

  C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\psql -U postgres postgres

This will connect you to the database "postgres" as user "postgres".
You'll probably see some more logging stuff appear in the original
window, depending on how high your logging levels are set.

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie