Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Robert Hodges wrote:
> Could you expand on why logical application of WAL records is impractical in
> these cases?  This is what Oracle does.  Moreover once you are into SQL a
> lot of other use cases immediately become practical, such as large scale
> master/slave set-ups for read scaling.

I cannot speak for Tom, but what strikes me as a strange approach here
is using the WAL for "logical application" of changes. That's because
the WAL is quite far away from SQL, and thus from a "logical
representation" of the data. It's rather pretty physical, meaning it's
bound to a certain Postgres release and CPU architecture.

A more "logical" exchange format certainly poses less problems across
releases, encodings and CPU architectures. Or even across RDMSen. But
hey, let's see what Simon comes up with...

Regards

Markus Wanner