Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6

От Arjun Datta
Тема Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6
Дата
Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6  (Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca>)
Список pgsql-novice
Steve Crawford wrote:
Arjun Datta wrote:
Hi,

I have an older server I am trying to restore a dump onto.

A _filesystem_ dump of the PG data files of or a _PostgreSQL_ dump using pg_dump/pg_dumpall? This sounds like a problem stemming from a filesystem dump.

If it is a file-system dump, you will need to restore the files into the server's data directories. The PG server version must match the major version the file-system came from. Additionally, you will probably need to attempt the restore onto a machine of the same architecture. Even then, you may have problems - especially if the dump was made while PG was running.

If you have a running version of the database somewhere you will be better off using the pg_dump/pg_dumpall tools to do the dump (and if migrating to a newer version of PG, use the pg_dump/pg_dumpall from the newer PG version) then restore from that dump.

If you don't have the data in a currently functioning PG server and you do succeed in recovering the data, do a PostgreSQL dump ASAP.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response.  I should have been clearer initially.

I have a PG dump (using pg_dumpall) from a PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server on Redhat 7.2 that I am trying to restore.

But on the newer machine (I cannot verify if postgres has ever been run on it or if it did when last), even before I try to restore, I notice that on startup I get the following error.

[root@devdb3 8.1]# service postgresql start

An old version of the database format was found.
You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.1.10/README.rpm-dist for more information.

So, even without getting to the restore stage using psql as outlined here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/backup.html#BACKUP-DUMP-ALL

I would like to fix the above error first.

Arjun

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6