Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Be that as it may, I still don't see what you gain by doing
>   insert ... (nextval('idseq'),...
>   select currval('idseq');
> when you could do
>   select nextval('idseq');
>   insert ...(?,...

Oh, sure, there's not gain either way. Select nextval + insert works
just as well.

Theoretically, you could "pipeline" the "INSERT nextval" + "SELECT
currval" method, by sending both commands at once and only then block
and wait for response, saving one round-trip to the server. You could do
that with a batch statement, I think, or by single executeQuery("INSERT
... ; SELECT currval(...)"). But if you don't do that, there's no
difference.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas