Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Дата
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Derek Rodner wrote:
> Brian,
>

> I respectfully disagree.  It can’t just be the maintainers that make the
> decision.  In reality, there should be a marketing board for Postgres
> and those folks should make the decision in coordination with all
> parties involved including those who would have to change doc, those who
> would have to change code, etc.  I know advocacy was supposed to be the
> marketing-like group, but it is too big of a group with too many
> opinions that don’t matter, mine included.

imho this decision is one that -core has to take in the end

> What we should do (here comes my marketing speak) is talk to those who
> matter, USERS.  There is an old saying in marketing:  Your opinion,
> though interesting, is irrelevant.  The reality is that we are all on
> the “inside” and are too jaded.  If PostgreSQL were a company, we would
> talk to analysts, customers, prospects, etc. and make a decision based
> on that.

First PostgreSQL is not a company it is a vital, large and successful
OSS project ...

Second the natural extension of that thought is that in the future we
will simply have users vote on what feature they want and have an "end
user board" that decides what features the developers have to implement ?

Stefan

Сообщение: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Сообщение: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)