Re: DBA-Village Poll

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: DBA-Village Poll
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Lewis Cunningham wrote:
> I thought some of you might be interested in a poll DBA Village is
> running (they have a weekly poll).  The question is "Which database
> do you consider the biggest threat for Oracle".
>
> Right now SQL Server is running at 42%.  That boggles the mind.

Why does that boggle the mind?

I would have said DB2 - which has almost half Oracle's share ($3.2B
vs $7.2B) - until I saw that Oracle's growth rate in database revenue
has recently been faster than IBM's.   In contrast, Microsoft, while
smaller is growing database revenue much faster than either IBM
or Oracle.

Technological threat?  Of course I'd say PostgreSQL looks like it's
arguably closest, and improving fastest.

But to be a threat to Oracle I don't think it's technology that matters
as much as lobbyists and salespeople's budgets to wine-and-dine CIOs.

> MySQL is next with 19%.

That one boggles my mind.   With $0.05B revenue and a niche product
I don't see why it's on the list.