Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist
Дата
Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist  (Cornelia Boenigk <c@cornelia-boenigk.de>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Following a discussion last week we need to write a good bullet point
>> list of PostgreSQL's technical features. They key aim is to provide a
>> nice checklist for potential new users. It should not be wordy, but
>> certain key features which deserve more explanation should be made links
>> to explanatory pages (of particular importance here is Replication which
>> should point to a page describing our policy on replication in core, and
>> the colutions available.
>
> what's wrong with:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html

Well, it's tucked away in the docs, and is more concerned with
describing techniques than actual solutions. For example, there are no
links to Slony, pgCluster, pgPool etc.

The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
prominently on the website.

>> In conjunction with this, the following pages should be reviewed and
>> updated as appropriate:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
>>
>> It might also be nice to incorporate Stefan's feature matrix at
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix, though this
>> should *not* be part of the main feature checklist page.
>
> yeah not sure how that would fit

A seperate page I suspect - just a link of the main page to the
by-version comparison.

>> I would suggest this work is undertaken on the wiki at
>> developer.postgresql.org to aid collaboration.
>
> seems like the proper place for that
>

>> Volunteers please? :-)
>
> definitly interested in helping with that effort.

Interested in leading it? I've got to the point at the moment that even
working more or less full time on community stuff I just don't have time
to push through every good idea that people throw at me :-(

Thanks in advance :-p

/D