Re: Quality of email postings

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Quality of email postings
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I am getting concerned about the quality of email traffic on the
>> advocacy list.  It seems postings are often not fully formed ideas and
>> that threads frequently go on and on with few conclusions.  I am
>> thinking there has to be more leadership in keeping threads on track,
>> and more focus in emails.

I am curious about this statement. The last several threads I have been
involved in have in fact come to conclusion:

More Professional PostgreSQL Presence <- Closed, with extremely positive
ending leading to impressive presence at OSCON and LinuxWorld.

Bad EDB PR <- Resolved by willingness of EDB to being more diligent
about PR.

EDB PR on EDB Postgres <- Pretty much a low level discussion started by
Lukas, ended up with several good conclusions including agreement that
we need slightly more defined posting requirements. Also included Derek
from EDB who explained very well what there intent was, again positive
ending. Also included some good history recollection for the community.

Other recent postings:

Advocacy Wiki <- This one did get a little out of hand but was quickly
resolved in house by Dpage and Myself realizing we were cross arguing.
Positive result was provided by better permissions on wiki *and*
technical definition of requirements for sponsor page to be managed.

Alexa for PostgreSQL <- Got to give Andy credit for even trying on that
one but no flames resulted and the matter appears closed.

New Database Attack <- Debunked the problem, thread closed

>> Why does this matter?  I have been approached by two sales people in the
>> past few days who are subscribed to advocacy and want to help

It certainly matters however keep in mind that PostgreSQL Advocacy is an
*open* list about all things adovocating PostgreSQL. That is an
extremely broad topic and there are bound to be things that don't suit
one person or another.

>> PostgreSQL, but they are wondering if the advocacy list is a useful
>> place for them to help.  If we don't add focus to the discussions, we
>> risk losing their involvement in advocating PostgreSQL.

Although I think your idea is in the right place. Heck I personally told
Derek to participate, I think it is reasonable to expect that they are
going to have to suck it up a little bit. This is the Open Range man.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Quality of email postings
Сообщение: Re: Quality of email postings