Re: Recalculating OldestXmin in a long-running vacuum

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Recalculating OldestXmin in a long-running vacuum
Дата
Re: Recalculating OldestXmin in a long-running vacuum  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> So are you stopping work on the patch?  I assume so.
>
>> Yes, at least for now. I can't believe the patch actually hurts
>> performance, but I'm not going to spend time investigating it.
>
> Are we withdrawing the patch from consideration for 8.3 then?
> I had assumed it was still a live candidate, but if it seems to
> lose in pgbench maybe we had better set it aside.

I haven't tried pgbench, the tests I ran were with DBT-2.

Just to summarize again: the patch did help to keep the stock table
smaller, but the response times were higher with the patch.

Maybe we should keep this issue open until we resolve the vacuum WAL
flush issue? I can then rerun the same tests to see if this patch is a
win after that.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Сообщение: Re: Recalculating OldestXmin in a long-running vacuum
Сообщение: Re: Recalculating OldestXmin in a long-running vacuum