Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/2/24 23:11, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 2:31 PM Melanie Plageman
> <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hold the phone on this one. I realized why I moved
>> BitmapAdjustPrefetchIterator after table_scan_bitmap_next_block() in
>> the first place -- master calls BitmapAdjustPrefetchIterator after the
>> tbm_iterate() for the current block -- otherwise with eic = 1, it
>> considers the prefetch iterator behind the current block iterator. I'm
>> going to go through and figure out what order this must be done in and
>> fix it.
>
> So, I investigated this further, and, as far as I can tell, for
> parallel bitmapheapscan the timing around when workers decrement
> prefetch_pages causes the performance differences with patch 0010
> applied. It makes very little sense to me, but some of the queries I
> borrowed from your regression examples are up to 30% slower when this
> code from BitmapAdjustPrefetchIterator() is after
> table_scan_bitmap_next_block() instead of before it.
>
>         SpinLockAcquire(&pstate->mutex);
>         if (pstate->prefetch_pages > 0)
>             pstate->prefetch_pages--;
>         SpinLockRelease(&pstate->mutex);
>
> I did some stracing and did see much more time spent in futex/wait
> with this code after the call to table_scan_bitmap_next_block() vs
> before it. (table_scan_bitmap_next_block()) calls ReadBuffer()).
>
> In my branch, I've now moved only the parallel prefetch_pages-- code
> to before table_scan_bitmap_next_block().
> https://github.com/melanieplageman/postgres/tree/bhs_pgsr
> I'd be interested to know if you see the regressions go away with 0010
> applied (commit message "Make table_scan_bitmap_next_block() async
> friendly" and sha bfdcbfee7be8e2c461).

I'll give this a try once the runs with MAX_BUFFERS_PER_TRANSFER=1
complete. But it seems really bizarre that simply moving this code a
little bit would cause such a regression ...

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring
Сообщение: Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring