Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От Ganbold
Тема Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Дата
Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

David Fetter wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:10:36AM -0500, Chander Ganesan wrote:
Ganbold wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
usually coding in php/C.

Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?

Which one is worth from following books?

1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
I highly recommend this book.  It's a very thorough coverage of
PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO.  We provide this
book as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and
before choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
market...this one definitely takes the cake.
I heartily second this recommendation.

As lot of people recommend I will definitely buy first book. Also
will consider second book since it seems like easy to read and follow.

Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
postgresql.  Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to
postgresql, maybe at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?  Are
there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
mysql to postgresql?
If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
(PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
to do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time
consuming (though not overly difficult).
Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.

However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
this harder.

Well, this is true. I have to change my "mysql" mind and
start exploring postgresql capabilities and construct everything.
Right now my mysql app only uses a lot of simple select/insert/delete queries,
so I have to  change some of those using features like triggers/views/stored
procedures etc. What I'm thinking is first create db and change every PHP mysql functions
into postgresql. Then step by step will try to improve/change queries.

Thanks a lot for all who answered to my questions.

Ganbold

Cheers,