Re: minimizing downtime when upgrading

От Kenneth Downs
Тема Re: minimizing downtime when upgrading
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jim Nasby wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2006, at 7:42 AM, H.J. Sanders wrote:
>
>> The last 15 years we also used Informix and we never, never had to
>> unload/load
>> the database because of an upgrade.
>>
>> Perhaps somebody knows how they do the trick?
>

> Do they provide a migration/upgrade utility?

In the case of MS SQL Server the issue doesn't come up.  Here are some
user experiences:

1) Create a database in MS SS 6
2) Upgrade software to MS SS 7
3) Use software

1) Create a database in MS SS 6
2) Backup database (closest analog is -Fc option of pg_dump)
3) Move backup to machine running MS SS 7
4) Attempt to restore.  Program warns it will upgrade database and you
can't go back, proceed?  You say yes.

Вложения