Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>  It's not about a primarily GUI based OS not being able to do
>  everything a traditionally command line based OS can do on the
>  command line, it's about providing a solution that will work on
>  either and remain portable. Whilst I agree with your objection to
>  using pg_lzcompress,

Well, pg_lzcompress is in the backend for more than 6 years now, strange
the objections arise now. However, a replacement for it might be a good
idea, since apparently the fastest gzip algorithm is 3x faster for 10%
better compression. TOAST write performance would probably profit
significantly from a better algorithm.

I wonder what other use-cases exist for server side copy filters beyond
compression.

Regards,
Andreas