Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I dislike putting this into the backend precisely because it's trying to
>> impose a one-size-fits-all compression solution.  Someone might wish to
>> use bzip2 instead of gzip, for instance, or tweak the compression level
>> options of gzip.  It's trivial for the user to do that if the
>> compression program is separate, not trivial at all if it's wired into
>> COPY.  Also, a pipe feature would have uses unrelated to compression,
>> such as on-the-fly analysis or generation of data.
>

> It seems that it would be better to have the options within pg_dump
> which would give the most flexibility.

What about all other client tools?

My COPY WITH COMPRESSION is not the same as taking a copy file and
zipping it; it creates a copy file with BinarySignature that has
compressed bytes in the data part, thus it can be handled by any client
app that can stream binary copy files from/to the server.

Regards,
Andreas

Сообщение: Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Сообщение: Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe