Re: Usability Question

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Usability Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hill-Managementberatung@t-online.de wrote:
> Reading through the FAQ and Online docs I found the comment that in most
> cases virus protecting and/or firewall software causes this problem and the
> recommendation to stop using or even to uninstall this software. It is hard
> to believe that this is a serious advice. Is one really expected to quite
> using antivirus/firewall software if one wants to use postgres? I would
> imagine that this would be a knock-out criteria for the product not just for
> me, but for a lot of people.

I think the point is to stop the anti-virus software interfering with
PostgreSQL accessing its files. Obviously this sort of thing can cause
problems with any database.

The problem is - how do you provide detailed advice on how to do this
for every version of every anti-virus package in every configuration?

So - if you don't know how to configure your anti-virus/firewall
software, or read system/application logs, there's not much the project
can do to even help. That seems to include a lot of Windows users (who
may even just be running the av/firewall software that came with the
machine and not even know what it's doing for them).

The two things you need to allow are:
1. Access to whatever network port(s) you have PG listening on.
2. Access to PG's files (and they're all in one place by default) to the
various PG processes.

Alternatively, you could switch to one of the Unix/Linux/BSD
distributions which tend to manage system integration a little better
than MS-Windows.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd