Re: PL language selection

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: PL language selection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Nicolay A Vasiliev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am going to be inspired into PostgreSQL community. So I need your
> advices, buddies.

Crikey! I must be more persuasive than I thought :-)

> There are a number of different PL-languages. How do you select these
> languages? I think PL/SQL is more fast or am I wrong?

Hmm - it varies. You are guaranteed to always have plpgsql available
wherever PG is installed. It's not very good at dynamic stuff - with
Perl/TCL etc you can write one trigger function and have it adapt itself
to different tables quite easily.

The others have their strengths and weaknesses depending on the language
itself. If you're prepared to compile from source there is a pl-php
which might interest you.

It's from the nice people at Command Prompt:
   http://www.commandprompt.com/community/plphp/

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd