Re: System Requirement

От Madison Kelly
Тема Re: System Requirement
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Saranya Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are looking to upgrade to 8.0 from 7.3.2 on production server. The
> current production system we are using is

> 2 x 2.4 Ghz Intel Xeon CPU with HT(4 virtual CPUs)
>
> RAM - 1GB
>
> HDD - 34GB SCSI
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Production DB size: 10.89 GB
>
> Number of tables: 253
>
> We are planning to get a new server/system and upgrade to 8.0 on it.
> What is the recommended system requirement for Postgres 8.0?
>
> Please give me your inputs on this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Saranya

Hi,

   Let me be the first to recommend RAM. From what little I know so far
I think it is still important to know more about what your database
looks like and how is it used/accessed. Can you post some more
information on the details of your database? Is it a few users with
large datasets (like a research project) or many users with small data
sets (like a website)?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/kernel-resources.html

See if that helps a bit. My first suggestion would be to simply increase
your RAM to at least 2GB. Anything more would be beneficial up to the
point of being able to load your entire DB into RAM (16GB RAM should
allow for that plus other OS overhead).

Well, I'm relatively new so defer to others but this is my suggestion.

Best of luck!

Madison
--
Madison Kelly (Digimer)