Re: [Maybe Spam] something is corrupting the data

От Greg Campbell
Тема Re: [Maybe Spam] something is corrupting the data
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Don't know that I would call that corruption as much as a difference in
precision past about the 5th decimal -- of course all floating point
numbers are actually stored as some form  like 0.2546E+2.

If I were using Access, I'd link to the tables and check the data type
Access thinks it has,..single (4 byte floating point) or double (8 byte
floating point). If pressed, I would then turn on ODBC debugging, and
run some queries to see the exact data passed back and forth between
hither and yon (client and server).

If pressed still I would explore the arcane world of floating point data
storage and representation (G type, E types, and F types) that I haven't
paid much attention to since I programmed in Fortran.

Of course, in the real world, since I don't work in a bank or NASA, I
try  not to get pressed that far.

Elford,Andrew [Ontario] wrote:

>Server (on Gentoo linux): postgresql-7.4.7
>Windows client: psqlodbc-07.03.0200
>

>I get perfect results when I use pgAdmin or directly on the console, but
>when I use Excel or Access through ODBC, I get corrupted numbers (using
>the same SQL command).  The data corruption is consistent (same wrong
>number every time).  The data type for all fields is float4.  I've tried
>newer snapshot versions of psqlodbc and different clients, no luck.
>This also occurred with postgresql 7.3 on our old RH box...
>
>Correct:
>2.5246,2.1749,229.04,30.148,0.92686,41.7
>
>Excel/Access results:
>2.5246,2.1749001,229.03999,30.148001,0.92685997,41.700001
>
>Any suggestions?

Вложения