Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/6/23 11:19, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 3, 2023 at 11:56 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/3/23 18:52, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>>

>> Another idea is that maybe we could somehow inform ReorderBuffer whether
>> the output plugin even is interested in sequences. That'd help with
>> cases where we don't even want/need to replicate sequences, e.g. because
>> the publication does not specify (publish=sequence).
>>
>> What happens now in that case is we call ReorderBufferQueueSequence(),
>> it does the whole dance with starting/aborting the transaction, calls
>> rb->sequence() which just does "meh" and doesn't do anything. Maybe we
>> could just short-circuit this by asking the output plugin somehow.
>>
>> In an extreme case the plugin may not even specify the sequence
>> callbacks, and we're still doing all of this.
>>

> We could explore this but I guess it won't solve the problem we are
> facing in cases where all sequences are published and plugin has
> specified the sequence callbacks. I think it would add some overhead
> of this check in positive cases where we decide to anyway do send the
> changes.

Well, the idea is the check would be very simple (essentially just a
boolean flag somewhere), so not really measurable.

And if the plugin requests decoding sequences, I guess it's natural it
may have a bit of overhead. It needs to do more things, after all. It
needs to be acceptable, ofc.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra