Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.

От Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Тема Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Richard Welty wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:24:00 -0300 "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>
>>So, the copyright is not from a single person which means I can't
>>contact the person who did it. There is no sign of who is the author too.
>

>>Do you know who may be the author?
>

> well, the copyright is held by the "PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group", which is an uncorporated association. i'd say that you should
> treat this as meaning the PostgreSQL core team.

Ok.

>>Also, do you know what would be other care I should take when
>>integrating the code? I mean, do I have to distribute the BSD license?
>>Do I have to add a note about the use of BSD derivative work?
>

>>I read the BSD license and I could see it is very simple and easy to
>>use, but I just want to be sure if I'm not missing anything.
>

> the BSD license is what it is, and says what it says. it's about the
> simplest license out there, and i wouldn't worry about any tricks.
> you will need to distribute the license and specify somewhere that
> BSD licensed code copyrighted by the postgresql global development
> group is included. there are various examples of how to do this scattered
> about the net.

Ok. I will do that.

> people do what they will do with licensing, but as a general rule,
> i recommend that adjuncts to BSD licensed projects should stick
> with a BSD style license, and adjuncts to a GPL/LGPL style project
> should stick with that type of license. otherwise, you end up in
> confusing situations like the one you're facing.

Thanks. This is one of the most important things I'd like to hear.
About how to license the ported code.

Here is what I'm willing to do:

Distribute the source and binary code with the bsd license.
Add a note about usage of copyrighted Postgresql Global Development
Group code.
Add a note about original copyright in all 4 used files.
Keep saying Npgsql is licensed as LGPL as the new ported code will be
licensed under LGPL.

Do you think this is ok?

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.