Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christopher Cashell wrote:
>   [1] Upon rebooting, the autovacuum utility kind of harfed.  Here is
>       the log entries that it made:
>
>       ---
>       [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Failed connection to database template1
>       with error: FATAL:  the database system is starting up
>       .
>       [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Failed connection to database template1
>       with error: FATAL:  the database system is starting up
>       .
>       [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Error: Cannot connect to template1,
>       exiting.
>       ---
>
>       When I first saw this, the problem seemed to still be there, and I
>       saw "FATAL: the database system is starting up" running across my
>       brain in bright red letters.
>
>       I took a minute to breath, and luckily realized that at least one
>       program (that starts automatically upon reboot) seemed to be
>       accessing the database just fine.  At that, I felt a little hope
>       return.
>
>       So, I shut down Postgres, then restarted Postgres, then restarted
>       the autovacuum utility, and everything worked just peachy.  I'm
>       guessing that perhaps the autovacuum tool was trying to connect to
>       Postgres while it was replaying the transaction log from not
>       having been shut down cleanly, and that's why it choked, but I
>       don't know that for sure.

This is a known issue with the autovacuum contrib module.  This problem
goes away when pg_autovacuum is integrated into the backend.  I
submitted a patch that makes pg_autovacuum a backend process, but so
far, I have yet to get any response from anyone.

Matthew