error on starting server

От Robert Morgan
Тема error on starting server
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi thanks for your previous replies, I decided to remove the RH embedded
postgresql and install from source
which I have done and as far as I can tell everything is ok but when I
tried to start it I got the following...

[bob@localhost bob]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "bob".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_NZ.UTF-8.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... mkdir: cannot create
directory `/usr/local/pgsql/data': Permission denied

initdb: failed
[bob@localhost bob]$

any help appreciated.

version is postgresql-7.4.2