Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 9:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The scenario I'm worried about could be closed, mostly, if we were willing
>> to invent an intermediate GUC privilege level "can be set interactively
>> but only by CREATEROLE holders" ("PGC_CRSET"?).

> Of course, if it's possible for a non-CREATEROLE user to set the value
> that a CREATEROLE user experiences, that'd be more of a problem --

That's exactly the case I'm worried about, and it's completely reachable
if a CREATEROLE user makes a SECURITY DEFINER function that executes
an affected GRANT and is callable by an unprivileged user.  Now, that
probably isn't terribly likely, and it's unclear that there'd be any
serious security consequence even if the GRANT did do something
different than the author of the SECURITY DEFINER function was expecting.
Nonetheless, I'm feeling itchy about this chain of assumptions.

> To answer your question directly, though, I don't know of any other
> setting where that would be a useful level.

Yeah, I didn't think of one either.  Also, even if we invented PGC_CRSET,
it can't stop one CREATEROLE user from attacking another one, assuming
that there is some interesting attack that can be constructed here.
I think the whole point of your recent patches is to not assume that
CREATEROLE users are mutually trusting, so that's bad.

Bottom line is that a GUC doesn't feel like the right mechanism to use.
What do you think about inventing a role property, or a grantable role
that controls this behavior?