Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
>MySQL 4 Cons:
>    -- Few SQL Features:  MySQL does not currently have procedure or function
>support, no schema, does not support many types of subselects, and
>transaction support is very new with some reported problems and exceptions.
>    -- Not ACID Compliant:  Does not fullfill standard ACID defintitions, due to
>numerous weaknesses in constraints, data typing and transaction isolation.
>See http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html for more information.

Personally I think we should have the info on a postgresql site.

>    -- Dual License:  due to MySQL's GPL license, you must purchase a license
>from MySQL AB for many commercial applications.

This isn't accurate. It would be more accurate to say "for closed source
applications".

>    -- Single-Company Project:  the MySQL Project is owned and controlled by a
>single company, MySQL AB.   This means that the project lives or dies with
>that company, which is currently venture-capital funded.

This is also inaccurate as MySQL is GPL so the project would live on.

>    -- Questionable Reliability:  Lack of open-source hot backup tools and
>automated database recovery utilities make MySQL very vulnerable to system
>failures and hardware problems.

The term Questionable Reliability is a little flammatory... just
Reliability would probably
suffice. The description afterwords pretty much makes it questionable.

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

От: Christopher Browne
Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL