Re: too many clients

От Glenn Holmer
Тема Re: too many clients
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 04/11/2003 13:34 Glenn Holmer wrote:
>
>> What does this mean and how do I diagnose it?
>>
>> java.sql.SQLException: FATAL:  Sorry, too many clients already
>>
>> Not all the Postgres databases on this machine are experiencing this.
>> One of them is using pooling with Tomcat and the JNDI interface.
>>

> You've probably reached max_connections. Try upping the value in your
> postgresql.conf. You'll need to restart the back-end for it to take effect.

This is on SuSE 8.2, which provides a file /etc/sysconfig/postgresql;
this is where we put "-i" for TCP/IP.  Since that's a postmaster flag,
I'm probably OK with putting the max_connections here as well?  Looks
like it would be, e.g. "-i -N 64 -B 128"? (space after -N and -B?)

There are a lot more Postgres users on this machine lately (some new
apps).  A long time ago, we used to get "hash table out of memory.
Use -B parameter to increase buffers"; that param was never added when
we upgraded the machine last summer.

Glenn Holmer                          gholmer@weycogroup.com
Programmer/Analyst                       phone: 414.908.1809
Weyco Group, Inc.                          fax: 414.908.1601