Re: reprise on Linux overcommit handling

От Ang Chin Han
Тема Re: reprise on Linux overcommit handling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Rather than give bad advice, it might be better to advise users (1) to run
> Pg on machines that are likely to be stable and not run into OOM situations,
> and (2) to check with their vendors about proper overcommit handling.

Would it be possible (or trivial?) to write a small C program to test
for memory overcommit behaviour? Might be useful to put in contrib, and
mention it in the Admin docs. There are just too many Linux variants and
settings to be sure of what exactly the memory overcommit policy is for
a particular kernel and distribution.

Linux 2.6 will apparently behave better. I guess they have learnt the
lesson. :)

http://kniggit.net/wwol26.html (Under "Other Improvements").

--
Linux homer 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux 10:30am  up 209 days,  1:35,  5 users,  load average: 5.08, 5.08, 5.08