Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
gunther hust wrote:

> Technology and features be notwithstanding - they will
> do whatever it takes including closing off parts of
> the source code.  Expect to see a fork in the codebase
> if at all allowed by the current license by the
> original developers or someone close.

That original developer would be the current CTO and one of the original
co-founders of the company. If he's not having a big argument with his
money, these $19.5M are at least supposed to secure his investment and
his job. Don't expect a fork from that side.

Also a fork would mean that you take away the possibility for someone to
link their proprietary application against the client library since that
is GPL'd too as someone else pointed out.

Third MySQL AB makes it pretty clear that a fork of the code base will
not be allowed to use any trademarks of the company.

With no core knowledge in the server, no client library for the current
commercial users and a big handicap in getting the fork recognized as
such, I don't see a "successfull" fork anytime soon.

Jan

Сообщение: ...