Re: Using TEXT columns for binary content

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Using TEXT columns for binary content
Дата
Re: Using TEXT columns for binary content  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Mircea Sarbu wrote:
> There are some hidden drawbacks for this approach? (I don't need any further
> processing on the binary content)

There are people who have reported using this method successfully on the
Postgres lists. Only downsides I can think of are:

1) You have to encode to base64 on the way in (bytea has to be escaped
    on INSERT/UPDATE too)
2) You have to decode to binary on the way out (depending on your
    middleware, you can use a binary cursor for bytea and avoid the
    decode on SELECT)
3) The on disk representation is about 33% bigger compared to bytea
4) TEXT datatype is subject to being multibyte encoded -- I don't think
    this affects the characters in the base64 set, but I'm not sure there
    won't be any undesireable interactions. If you are using other than
    'C' locale, test carefully.

Joe