Re: SQL server application porting headache

От Giuseppe Tanzilli - CSF
Тема Re: SQL server application porting headache
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hello,

I had similar problem porting an old application from MySQL,
~ solved quoting  table/field indentifiers in the create statements,
then made the attached patch.

The patch alter the pgsql query parsing so that you can use insensitive
case names in selects,
but the server give you resultsets with the  case you used when creating
tables.

try it on pgsql 7.2, should work....

Of course I'm interested in improving it.

bye
PS the patch also adds the ability to exclude objects from pg_dump with
regular expression match.

- --
Giuseppe Tanzilli        g.tanzilli@gruppocsf.com
CSF Sistemi srl            phone ++39 0775 7771
Via del Ciavattino
Anagni FR
Italy

Oskar Berggren wrote:

| Oskar Berggren wrote:
|
|> I have been looking at the parser somewhat and I have located the
|> conversion to lowercase in the flex source code. It seems fairly
|> easy to do this conversion even in the case of a quoted identifier. In
|> fact, I'm just about to install a modified version of PostgreSQL. Or
|> is there some other reason this won't work?
|>

| Turns out things weren't so easy after all. Now apparently the ODBC
| driver tries to find the table using a case-sensitive match which
| of course fail, due to the fact that the table name is now lowercase.
|
| Would it be difficult to make PostgreSQL case insensitive for real when
| comparing identifiers? That is, the actual comparison is case
| insensitive rather than having the parser convert everything to
| lowercase. Would I have to make modifications to lots of different
| places or are the comparisons in question contained in some (small)
| part of the source code?
|

| regards,
| Oskar

Вложения