libpq++ and strings.

От Carlos Moreno
Тема libpq++ and strings.
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
I wonder why all the string parameters and return values
are expressed in the form of char * or const char * ?

After some time sticking to C++ and learning to hate
(even more :-)) C strings, I find myself annoyed by
not being able to do this:

if (db.ExecTuplesOk ("select * from products"))
{   for loop ......
       if (db.GetValue(row, "discontinued") == "t")       {           cout << "Disconinued";       }

Or something like this:

// Get results from one query and use one field to
// produce another query:

string query = "select * from table where ID='" +               db.GetValue (row, "prodID") + "'";

Don't you just hate it?  At least the second one is
not that bad, because the compiler won't let you add
two pointers.  But the first one slips through the
compiler, who doesn't have a problem with comparing
two pointers -- it can not even know that the comparison
will be unconditionally false to warn you...  :-(

Why not just changing all the parameters and return
values to `const string &' and/or `string' ?

Any thoughts?

Carlos