Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> >> ... the calendar says it's too late for 7.1.
>
> > Even for the _real_ bugfixes in gist.c ?
>
> If he were submitting only bugfixes, we wouldn't be having this
> discussion.

But he had very little incentive to fix bugs in the version he
would not use.

> Look, I don't like postponing improvements either.  But if we don't
> adhere to project management discipline,

But should we do that _blindly_?
I'd think that improving/fixing things in seldom-visited corners of
postgres should be a little more tolerable than messing around in core.

> we are never going to get
> releases out the door at all --- or if we do, they'll be too buggy
> to be reliable.  It's not like "no new features during beta" is such
> a draconian or difficult-to-understand rule.

I'd rather describe his changes as "a (bug)fix that required a major
rewrite" ;)

> The RelFileNodeEquals() bug we found on Monday proves that no one had
> yet done enough stress-testing on 7.1 to discover that multiple
> databases were broken.

BTW, What do people use for stress-testing ?
> Think about that for awhile before you campaign for inserting untested
> new features at this point.

Rather new variants of little-tested features ;)

> We need to focus on TESTING, people, not new features.

I make a personal promise to spend at least 5 hours of testing new GiST
functionality during this weekend if it is commited to 7.1 CVS.
(ok, I do it anyhow, just that currently I'm testing it using the
patches ;)

Hannu