Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > what's wrong wth "Post-Gres-QL"?
> > >
> > > I find it soooo simple to pronounce *shrug*
> >
> >     Mee  too.  And I'm not sure if anybody pronounces PG the same
> >     way.  Is it PeeGee or PiG (in which case we'd have the  wrong
> >     animal in our logo).
>
> Actually, the one that gets me is those that refer to it as Postgres

I suspect that it is still at least 75% postgres codewize, no?

> ... postgres was a project out of Berkeley way back in the 80's, early
> 90's ... hell, it was based on a PostQuel language ... this ain't
> postgres, its only based on it :(

so postgres-QL is based on a project that is based on PostQuel

as the ease of initial transition from PostQuel to SQL shows, it is not
"based on" SQL, it just happens to use SQL as a query language.
It did not even loose too much features in transition.

IMHO PG is based on solid relational database technology.

Hannu