Re: Postgres picks suboptimal index after building of an extended statistics

От Andrei Lepikhov
Тема Re: Postgres picks suboptimal index after building of an extended statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 18/12/2023 15:29, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Also, there is a set of patches [7], [8], and [9], which makes the
> optimizer consider path selectivity as long as path costs during the
> path selection.  I've rechecked that none of these patches could resolve
> the original problem described in [1].
It is true. We accidentally mixed two different problems in one thread.
>  Also, I think they are quite
> tricky.  The model of our optimizer assumes that paths in the list
> should be the different ways of getting the same result.  If we choose
> the paths by their selectivity, that breaks this model.  I don't say
> there is no way for this.  But if we do this, that would require
> significant rethinking of our optimizer model and possible revision of a
> significant part of it.
I can't understand that. In [9] we just elaborate the COSTS_EQUAL case
and establish final decision on more stable basis than a casual order of
indexes in the list.
>  Anyway, I think if there is still interest in
> this, that should be moved into a separate thread to keep this thread
> focused on the problem described in [1].
Agree. IMO, the problem of optimizer dependency on an order of indexes
in the relation index list is more urgent for now.

> Finally, I'd like to note that the issue described in [1] is mostly the
> selectivity estimation problem.  It could be solved by adding the
> multi-column MCV statistics.  The patches published so far look more
> like hacks for particular use cases rather than appropriate solutions.
> It still looks promising to me to use the knowledge of unique
> constraints during selectivity estimation [10].  Even though it's hard
> to implement and possibly implies some overhead, it fits the current
> model.  I also think unique contracts could probably be used in some way
> to improve estimates even when there is no full match.
I have tried to use the knowledge about unique indexes in the
selectivity estimation routine. But it looks invasive and adds a lot of
overhead.

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
От: Egor Chindyaskin
Сообщение: Re: Stack overflow issue