Re: Thoughts about NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Thoughts about NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2/20/24 03:16, wenhui qiu wrote:
> Hi Heikki Linnakangas
>    I saw git log found this commit:
> https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/3acc10c997f916f6a741d0b4876126b7b08e3892
> ,I don't seem to see an email discussing this commit. As the commit log
> tells us, we don't know exactly how large a value is optimal, and I believe
> it's more flexible to make it as a parameter.Thank you very much
> tomas.vondra for explaining the relationship, i see that MAX_SIMUL_LWLOCKS
> was just doubled in this commit, is there a more appropriate ratio between
> them?

I think the discussion for that commit is in [1] (and especially [2]).

That being said, I don't think MAX_SIMUL_LOCKS and NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS
need to be in any particular ratio. The only requirement is that there
needs to be enough slack, and 72 locks seemed to work quite fine until
now - I don't think we need to change that.

What might be necessary is improving held_lwlocks - we treat is as LIFO,
but more as an expectation than a hard rule. I'm not sure how often we
violate that rule (if at all), but if we do then it's going to get more
expensive as we increase the number of locks. But I'm not sure this is
actually a problem in practice, we usually hold very few LWLocks at the
same time.

As for making this a parameter, I'm rather opposed to the idea. If we
don't have a very clear idea how to set this limit, what's the chance
users with little knowledge of the internals will pick a good value?
Adding yet another knob would just mean users start messing with it in
random ways (typically increasing it to very high value, because "more
is better"), causing more harm than good.

Adding it as a GUC would also require making some parts dynamic (instead
of just doing static allocation with compile-time constants). That's not
great, but I'm not sure how significant the penalty might be.

IMHO adding a GUC might be acceptable only if we fail to come up with a
good value (which is going to be a trade off), and if someone
demonstrates a clear benefit of increasing the value (which I don't
think happen in this thread yet).

regards

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAA4eK1LSTcMwXNO8ovGh7c0UgCHzGbN%3D%2BPjggfzQDukKr3q_DA%40mail.gmail.com