Re: Improving EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Improving EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 23:19, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> After thinking a bit more, I understood what was bothering me about
>> that notation: it looks too much like a call of a user-defined
>> function named "rescan()".  I think we'd be better off with the
>> all-caps "RESCAN()".

> Or perhaps move the parentheses, and write "(rescan SubPlan N)" or
> "(reset SubPlan N)". Dunno.

Oh, I like that!  It seems rather parallel to the existing "hashed"
annotation.  If I had it to do over, I'd likely do the "hashed"
bit differently --- but as the proposal currently stands, we are
not changing "hashed", so we might as well double down on that.

I won't update the patch right now, but "(rescan SubPlan N)"
seems like a winner to me.