Re: pgsql: Improve performance of subsystems on top of SLRU

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Improve performance of subsystems on top of SLRU
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> And I think it's correct that this is somewhat bogus, or at least
> confusing: the only way to have control back here on line 1371 after
> having executed once is via the "goto retry" line below; and there we
> release "prevlock" and set it to NULL beforehand, so it's impossible for
> prevlock to be NULL.  Looking closer I think this code is all confused,
> so I suggest to rework it as shown in the attached patch.

This is certainly simpler, but I notice that it holds the current
LWLock across the line

     ptr = (MultiXactMember *) palloc(length * sizeof(MultiXactMember));

where the old code did not.  Could the palloc take long enough that
holding the lock is bad?

Also, with this coding the "lock = NULL;" assignment just before
"goto retry" is a dead store.  Not sure if Coverity or other static
analyzers would whine about that.