Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
=?utf-8?Q?Dagfinn_Ilmari_Manns=C3=A5ker?= <ilmari@ilmari.org> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> gfortran?   Really??  I mean, I don't care about the disk space,
>> but this is not promising for anyone who has to build it themselves.

> The Fortran support for FFI::Platypus is in a separate CPAN distribution
> (FFI-Platypus-Lang-Fortran), so that must be some quirk of the Fedora
> packaging and not a problem for people building it themselves.

Ah, they must've decided to combine FFI-Platypus-Lang-Fortran into the
same RPM.  Not quite as bad then, since clearly we don't need that.

Another thing to worry about is whether it runs on the oldest
perl versions we support.  I tried it on a 5.14.0 installation,
and it at least compiles and passes its self-test, so that's
promising.  "cpanm install FFI::Platypus" took about 5 minutes
(on a 2012 mac mini, not the world's fastest machine).  The
list of dependencies it pulled in is still kinda long:

Capture-Tiny-0.48
ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.51
Test-Simple-1.302195
constant-1.33
Scalar-List-Utils-1.63
Term-Table-0.017
Test2-Suite-0.000156
File-Which-1.27
FFI-CheckLib-0.31
Try-Tiny-0.31
Test-Fatal-0.017
Test-Needs-0.002010
Test-Warnings-0.032
URI-5.21
Algorithm-Diff-1.201
Text-Diff-1.45
Spiffy-0.46
Test-Base-0.89
Test-YAML-1.07
Test-Deep-1.204
YAML-1.30
File-chdir-0.1011
Path-Tiny-0.144
Alien-Build-2.80
Alien-Build-Plugin-Download-GitHub-0.10
Net-SSLeay-1.92
HTTP-Tiny-0.088
Mozilla-CA-20230821
IO-Socket-SSL-2.083
Mojo-DOM58-3.001
Alien-FFI-0.27
FFI-Platypus-2.08

A couple of these are things a buildfarm animal would need anyway,
but on the whole it seems like this is pretty far up the food chain
compared to our previous set of TAP dependencies (only three
non-core-Perl modules).

Still, writing our own equivalent is probably more work than it's
worth, if this is a suitable solution in all other respects.

Having said that ... I read the man page for FFI::Platypus,
and I'm failing to draw a straight line between what it can do
and what we need.  Aren't we going to need a big chunk of new
Perl code anyway?  If so, why not write a big chunk of new Perl
that doesn't have new external dependencies?

Сообщение: Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work
Сообщение: Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work