Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's
Дата
Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 01:22 AM 8/20/00 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>istm that it is *not* that easy. We tried (very briefly) a bug tracking
>system. Whatever technical problems it had (which other tools may not),
>the fundamental problem is that the mailing lists do a *great* job of
>screening problem reports while also supporting and enhancing the
>"Postgres culture", whereas a "bug report tool" eliminates that traffic
>and requires one or a few people to pay attention to the bug list to
>manage new and existing bug reports.

In the SDM you can, of course, ask to be notified of various events
by e-mail.  And there's a commenting facility so in essence a bug
report or feature request starts a conversation thread.

I don't recall saying that the SDM is simply a "bug report tool".  There's
quite a bit more to it, and the goal is to INCREASE interactivity, not
decrease it.

>This has (or could have) a *huge* impact on the culture and tradition of
>Postgres development, which imho is one of the most satisfying,
>pleasant, and effective environments in open source development. So if
>we try to do something with a bug tracking system, we will need to
>figure out:
>
>o how to retain a free and helpful discussion on the mailing lists, and
>to not degrade into a "shut up and check the bug reports" response.

This is a social, not software, engineering issue.

>o how to filter or qualify bug reports so that developers don't spend
>time having to do that.

Developers don't have to filter or qualify bug reports e-mailed to the
bugs list today?  Who's doing it, then, and why can't they continue doing
so if another tool is used to manage bug reports?

The SDM allows a little more granularity than the single e-mail list
aproach allows for.  You can designate modules within a package.  For
instance, psql might be a module with Peter assigned as an administrator,
and he might elect to get e-mail alerts whenever a bug is submitted to
for psql.

But he might not, for instance, be particularly interested in getting
e-mail alerts on (say) the JDBC driver.

There's a certain amount of delegation inherent in an approach like
this, and developers focused on narrow portions of the product (and
Peter came to mind because of psql, I'm not suggesting he only has
a narrow interest in the product) can arrange to only get nagged, if
you will, for stuff they've taken responsibility for.

My guess is that such a system probably isn't as cozy and useful for
developers, as you're implying.

I think it might well be more friendly for users, though.  Certainly
the OpenACS and arsDigita communities - both fairly large though
not as long in the tooth as PG, I might add - seem to appreciate having
access to such a system.

Сообщение: Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's
Сообщение: Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's