Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:41 AM 2/21/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> Not having heard anything otherwise, assume we can go Beta today, as
>> planned?
>
>Might as well --- we have open issues, but there'll always be open
>issues.  I don't think anyone is still hoping to shoehorn new features
>into 7.0, just bug fixes.  (Wait, does a unary-minus operator for
>numeric count as a new feature ;-) ?)

I've been using a snapshot taken a couple of days ago, which includes
the new datetime stuff and outer join syntax stuff.  I've loaded
several thousand lines of data model which has been ported from Oracle
into it, and have been testing our port of the Ars Digita web toolkit
extensively on it.  This consists of literally thousands of queries
against the aforementioned data model, which includes nearly 500 foreign
keys including some "on delete/update cascade" and "set null" clauses.

It is all working GREAT.  Better than 6.5 (in which case the referential
actions have to be removed anyway, of course), in fact.  I've had no
problems with the new datetime stuff, which was of particular concern
to me because the toolkit is full of queries to grab information from
the last week, since your last visit to the website, to update robot
detection tables, to send e-mail alerts to folks who request them daily
or weekly (similar to majordomo digests), to update the database's view
of the site's static content, to build reports on usage of the site,
etc etc.  Certain bug fixes really make the port work cleaner, the
"group by" fix (to return no rows if no groups exist) in particular.

Even pg_dump works, though I had to modify a couple of views in order
to get them reload correctly.  If I sound like I was a bit nervous of
pg_dump it has to do with those nearly 500 foreign keys I mentioned.

Anyway, from my POV it sure feels like it should be a very solid beta.
I've not run across anything causing me to want to switch back to 6.5.